Monday, September 1, 2008

Words of Assurance

A tidbit of good news: From the Times Picayune - "A 90 minute drive through St. Bernard Parish revealed only 1 broken window." Tough for me to describe how great this feels. That being said, it must be so much more significant for residents.
To me, I think that Gustav represents a watershed: we've made it and shown that, when levies are appropriate, we can withstand a significant storm. Residents can return and know that they will be safe. Roots can be re-established. Families can return and know that they will be safe.
To all volunteers - while we have achieved great successes in the past. Now is the time to re-energize and double our work. New Orleans and St. Bernard are safe. Let's bring the residents home!!!

-Zack

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that.

Christopher Hillard

Elizabeth Treadway said...

That is great news. Having recently been in New Orleans and assisting on the St. Bernard Project with the American Public Works Association, it was most disappointing to see the storm move ashore and threaten this community. Glad you are well. Keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

Phrase be to God! You, your staff and everyone in St. Bernard Parish remain in our thoughts and prayers.

Peace and Grace,

Terri

Anonymous said...

That's so relieving to hear! I was just volunteering with you guys a little over a week ago and I'm so thankful that St. Bernard wasn't hit too bad!

Anonymous said...

Zack

Thanks for all the updates. I'm glad Gustav changed his mind and spared St. Bernard. I hope you'll keep updating this. I am always impressed by your opinions and this is a great way to spread the word about things that are happening (better yet not happening). You and Liz take care of yourself and keep doing the good work! Start practicing your tennis, when I come back I am taking you on.

-Lolly