Monday, September 1, 2008

We Still Need You

While watching the Gustav TV coverage, I just had an inappropriate thought or feeling. I was temporarily overwhelmed by a sense of giddiness. I though, "we've made it," "St. Bernard is safe." I was elated. And then I remembered reality - in St. Bernard Parish, there are still 1,800 families living in FEMA trailers. There are thousands of other families, seniors and people with disabilities who are living in apartments or hotel rooms that are being temporarily paid for by FEMA - but only until mid-March. Even without Gustav, even three years after Katrina, there is an incredible amount of work left to do. When we left on Friday we were working on more than 30 houses. The waiting had more than 60 names. We still were accepting 10-20 applications a week.

So the goal of this Blog entry is to remind you: there is work left to be done. And to meet our clients' needs, we need your help.

Think of the following: We have plans to open a Community Wellness and Mental Health Clinic in mid-September, but we still have not raised enough funds. And while there was a significant need for mental health services before Gustav, the need when we return will be even greater. We will start building affordable rental housing for seniors and people with disabilities in September, but to do so, we will need even more volunteers.

And, to be sure St. Bernard Parish is not the only Katrina-devastated area that has not been rebuilt. Gentilly, New Orleans East and several other areas still have neighborhoods where there are more gutted homes than rebuilt homes. Despite the fact that these communities are in different parts of the Greater New Orleans area, one thing unites them - residents of all of the areas want to return, but will not be able to do so without help.

Liz and I have received hundreds of emails and thousands of prayers. We are very thankful for the support. It is clear from the calls that Americans care about the residents of the Gulf. We ask that you translate your thoughts and energy into direct support through one of three ways:

1. Spread the word - the St. Bernard Project has grown from a 2 person operation to a 32 staff-member led group that utilizes up to 275 volunteers each day. These volunteers come because people like you spread the word and ask them to come. Please continue to do so.

2. Donate: We needed your help before Gustav and we'll need it even more after. Pls visit our website and donate on-line!!!

3. Volunteer: Please make plans to join us. Without volunteers, we are nothing. With volunteers we can't be stopped!!!

-Zack

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Zack, Liz, and all of SBP-

I've been thinking about you throughout this storm! Your promise to keep rebuilding da parish is so admirable and so inspirational. That, along with the kind and loving hearts of all the residents of St. Bernard, is what makes the parish the greatest place ever.

I'm coming back down in January to offer as much help as possible, but until then, I will continue to think about you guys, donate money, and work on my construction skills. :)

All the best to the parish and SBP.

A former N-trip,

Emily Buzzell

Anonymous said...

Zack, Liz, and SBP -

Your St. Camillus Parish, Maryland volunteers are praying and rooting for you all. Over dinner this weekend, we discussed what might happen if New Orleans gets "wiped out" by Gustav; it's inspiring to know SBP will be back no matter what. I wasn't sure how our youth volunteers would respond, but they are rooting you on and planning for the next trip to New Orleans around Thanksgiving! Please keep the news from St. Bernard coming.

Unknown said...

Hi Zack, Liz and all of those of SBP, I had the wonderful opportunity of helping out last May during Jazz Fest, I cannot express how I felt, knowing that I walked away with such a great feeling of accomplishment in just placing insulation in walls, I've never done that before...when I got home, I booked my plane ticket for October for Women's Week...I'm still planning on coming down...weather permitting....I have fallen in love with New Orleans and look forward to returning to help rebuild. Till then please stay safe!!

rseidon said...

Hi SBP:

You have all been in my thoughts and prayers as you went through Gustav. We couldn't imagine what would happen if the storm destroyed all of the homes that you have been able to resurrect.

I have been planning to put a group together to come down the week of February 16 to volunteer. How many volunteers can you accommodate? I want to know before I put the e-mail out.

I continue to send good thoughts your way as hurricane season continues.

All the best,
Robin Seidon